Location: Alpena, Michigan
Manages all procurement functions for the organization to ensure appropriate on-time delivery is attained, inventory targets are met, quality standards are maintained and cost objectives are achieved. Receives and grants approval for purchases of materials, goods and services. Reviews and approves procurement/supplier contracts. Protects proprietary Besser intellectual property. The Purchasing Manager reports to the Vice President Manufacturing.
Accountability: Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions.
Honesty/Integrity: Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
Respect: Maintains a positive and respectful attitude.
Loyal : The trait of feeling a duty to the employer.
Relationship/Consensus Building: Ability to effectively build relationships with customers and co-workers and bring about group solidarity to achieve a goal.
Time Management: Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
Tolerance: Ability to work successfully with a variety of people without making judgments.
Attendance: Strives for perfect attendance and commits to report to work on time.
- Directs and oversees all purchasing activities.
- Responsible for implementing company safety policies and training employees.
- Develops policies and procedures related to the procurement of goods and services.
- Establishes and administers pricing and margin strategies.
- Supervises buyers corporate-wide.
- Selects vendors, assesses vendor capabilities, develops alternate sources, and evaluates vendor performance.
- Negotiates price and delivery.
- Recommends purchases of materials based on anticipated changes in prices or on unusual availability situations.
- Makes certain that purchasing documents are properly completed and the terms and conditions of purchases are appropriate.
- Assures that department records are maintained and that purchases are followed up or expedited when required. Department records include price histories to provide information on price variances.
- Review purchasing contracts for any special terms and legal issues.
- Ensures the legal protection of company intellectual property as prudent.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business administration or equivalent.
Experience: At least 8 years of experience in the field or in related area preferred, including international experience, manufacturing experience required.
Skills: Strong interpersonal, persuasive and negotiating skills required. Must have well-developed organizational and communication skills. Must be able to manage multiple tasks and establish goals and action plans. Familiar with standard concepts, practices, and procedures within the field. Competent computer skills, including knowledge of business systems. Familiarly with Microsoft Office software programs, specifically proficient in Excel.
Requirements: Must be willing to travel worldwide. English speaking, multilingual skills highly preferred, German language a plus.
N (Not Applicable) not applicable to this occupation
O (Occasionally) up to 33% of the time (0- 2.5 hours per day)
F (Frequently) 33% to 66% of the time (2.5 to 5.5 hours per day)
C (Constantly) more than 66% of the day (5.5 hrs)
|Reach Above Shoulders||O|
|Squat or Kneel||O|
|10 lbs or less||O|
|Over 100 lbs||N|
|12 lbs or less||O|
Other Physical Requirements
Vision (Near, Color, Peripheral, Depth Perception)
An office environment in a controlled atmospheric building.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Janet Behnke, Corporate Human Resources Director
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA