Department: Human Resources
Location: Alpena, Michigan
This position manages employee data, ensuring the accuracy of timesheets, computing wages, and ensuring employees are paid correctly and on‐time. The Payroll Administrator reports to the Director of Human Resources or CFO.
- Processes all company payrolls—hourly, salary, Canada, and contractor.
- Reviews payroll time sheets and checks with supervisors if there are any discrepancies in terms of unclear differences, authorized overtime, shift differentials, or reasons for absences, either paid or unpaid.
- Manages direct deposits, benefits withholdings, payroll deductions, child support deductions, garnishments, levies, Health Savings Accounts, etc.
- Prepares pay period reports, month‐end reports, including paid hours, paid time off dollar report, and journal entries for each payroll.
- Prepares required annual employee censuses.
- Processes payments for union dues and union pension contributions.
- Ensures ADP files all federal and state payroll tax deposits in a timely fashion.
- Organizes and reviews forms associated with federal, state, and local authorities, such as W‐2s and T4’s.
- Assists auditors with required payroll information.
- Keeps management updated with new or upcoming payroll law changes.
- Must be open to completing other duties not specifically listed above as requested by the Human Resources and Finance teams.
Education: Associates degree or equivalent in accounting or business administration.
Experience: Two years of experience in payroll or accounting, with at least six months of training in payroll procedures. Knowledge of ADP payroll service preferred. Knowledge with Canadian payroll and taxes preferred.
Skills: Accuracy, organization, and confidentiality are key traits. Must be able to reliably check his/her own work for accuracy. Must be able to maintain a high level of confidentiality. Must be able to multi‐task and work well under pressure and with deadlines. Competent computer skills, including knowledge of business systems. Familiarly with Microsoft Office software programs.
Company Expectations of Employee
JOB KNOWLEDGE [Employee has skills to complete their duties and understand their new role]
QUALITY OF WORK [Employee’s output is accurate, complete, and works in a safe manner]
QUANTITY OF WORK [Employee is effective and efficient with their time; while meeting deadlines]
RELATIONSHIPS [Employee works well with the team/customers and fits our ‘ownership’ culture]
INITIATIVE [Employee is self‐motivated and shows interest in adding value beyond job description]
An office environment in a controlled atmospheric building.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company and enjoy all the beauty that Alpena, Michigan has to offer? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources, Hiring
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA