Department: Human Resources
Location: Alpena, Michigan
Human Resources Specialist
This position provides administrative assistance to Human Resources and all employees, with an emphasis on recruitment, hiring, and onboarding. The Human Resources Specialist reports to the Chief Human Resources Officer.
- Collaborating with department managers to compile an ongoing list of current and upcoming hiring needs and requirements.
- Assists with designing job descriptions and sourcing candidates through website databases, social media, printed and virtual advertisements, networking and recruitment events, etc.
- Promotes Besser Company as an Employer of Choice.
- Schedules and conducts interviews, performs reference checks, and onboards candidates, including collecting all required employment documentation.
- Participates in local community events and training opportunities to make a strong and positive Besser Company presence.
- Monitors new and existing employee engagement and acts as an employee advocate.
- Acts as liaison between employees and insurance providers to resolve benefit related problems and ensure effective utilization of plans.
- Stays educated on current employment legislation and regulations and enforcing them within the company.
- Respond to employees’ queries and resolve issues in a timely and professional manner.
- Ensures plans are administered in accordance with company policies and federal and state regulations and plan provisions are followed.
- Maintains personnel files in compliance with company policy and applicable legal requirements.
- Provides administrative support as needed (e.g. correspondence generation, record keeping, and file maintenance).
- Participates in ongoing safety initiatives.
- Participates in the promotion and education of the Company’s ESOP benefit.
- Monitors and verifies adherence to all policies.
- Travels to other Besser facilities, local colleges and high schools, recruitment and hiring events.
- Must be open to completing other duties not specifically listed above as requested by the Human Resources team.
Education: Associates degree in HR administration or business administration (PREFERRED)
Experience: Two years of experience in Human Resources/Recruitment (REQUIRED)
Skills: Positive and engaging interpersonal skills. Strong verbal and written communication. Excellent organizational and follow‐up skills. Must enjoy working one‐on‐one with employees and vendors. Competent with technology, business systems, and Microsoft Office software. Ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations. A working knowledge of employment laws and practices. Willing to travel. (REQUIRED)
Company Expectations of Employee
JOB KNOWLEDGE [Employee has skills to complete their duties and understand their new role]
QUALITY OF WORK [Employee’s output is accurate, complete, and works in a safe manner]
QUANTITY OF WORK [Employee is effective and efficient with their time; while meeting deadlines]
RELATIONSHIPS [Employee works well with the team/customers and fits our ‘ownership’ culture]
INITIATIVE [Employee is self‐motivated and shows interest in adding value beyond job description]
An office environment in a controlled atmospheric building.
How to Apply
Do you think you’d make an excellent fit for Besser Company and enjoy all the beauty that Alpena, Michigan has to offer? Please forward your resume to:
Besser Company World Headquarters
Attn: Human Resources, Hiring
801 Johnson Street
Alpena, MI 49707 USA