One of the most common questions Besser Representatives are asked involve proper mold assembly and torque requirements. This is an important question since longer mold life can be achieved by observing a few basic rules. First, be sure to clean all parts and mating surfaces thoroughly before assembly. A visual inspection is suggested to make sure parts are not burred or scored. Start with a good working surface to assure that parts are square. Always be sure parts are properly aligned and use proper torque requirements. It is important to always start with new lock washers and use only a brass hammer.
Proper Mold Assembly & Torque Requirements
1. Outside division plates should be torqued to 625 – 675 Ft. Lbs. (850 – 915 Newton-Meters). Outside division plates with cutouts for face liners should be torqued to 600-650 Ft. Lbs. (810-880 Newton-Meters).
2. Vibrator bolts torque specifications: 285-300 Ft. Lbs. (385-405 Newton-Meters) turning the nut.
3. Core bars should first be snugged initially front and back.
4. Then core bars should be torqued to 70 – 90 Ft. Lbs., (95 – 120 Newton-Meters). Align front and back as uniform as possible to the mold side bars. Check cores for center between division plates to assure uniform block dimensions. (A wire can be secured through the hold down bolt heads as a safety to prevent the bolts from coming loose during constant vibration).
5. Secure plungers to stripper head plate – 100 – 140 Ft. Lbs., (135 – 190 Newton-Meters).
6. Align the stripper shoes.
7. Threaded inside division plates should be torqued to 40 – 50 Ft. Lbs., (55 – 65 Newton-Meters). Tanged inside division plates should be torqued to 100 – 120 Ft. Lbs., (135 – 160 Newton-Meters).
8. End liners should be torqued to 100 – 140 Ft. Lbs., (135 – 190 Newton-Meters). Low height end liners should be torqued to 90-110 Ft. Lbs. (125-150 Newton-Meters).
9. Stripper shoes should be torqued to 65 – 75 Ft. Lbs. (90 – 100 Newton-Meters).
10. Center Posapac Vibrator Weights as close as possible to assure uniform vibration and make sure that the nuts face the outside of the mold.
Do you still have questions? Please check out page 14 of the 2016 Besser Parts & Accessories Catalog or contact your Besser Representative for further assistance.